The journey of several WMHS employees as they get ready for a 5K!

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

I Am Unstoppable

Hello everyone. I know I have not blogged in a little while about my adventures in getting ready for our October 5K.  That is because it got VERY busy at work AND I was getting ready for vacation. I don't have to tell any of you what that can be like.  We are now on vacation in the Midwest with my brother Sheldon (S) and his wife Elizabeth (E), who live in San Diego.  We met up in Minneapolis and then traveled to Duluth to spend time with my son Michael and his significant other Stephanie. 

I was and still am determined that I would continue gearing up for the 5K. To help me with that, I was given the packet that will be given out at the first class. I will miss several of the first classes; and as you know from my earlier blogs, I was concerned that missing classes would put me behind. With the packet of information securely packed into my suitcase, I knew I would be able to stay focused.

The other reason I knew I would stay focused is because of S & E.  They are both very conscious of the good exercise can bring to one's health. They routinely walk 6-8 miles each day, have run numerous 5, 10, 20K races and bike in 50-75 mile races!!! Can you even believe it?  I wish I could tell you they are lots younger then me but S is 10 years older then me and E is 1 year younger. They just appreciate the value of routine exercise.

So I have walked more in these few days I have been with them than I think I have in my whole entire life!!! And it is almost like being with a coach as E tells me to put my shoulders back, hold my head up, put those arms to a 90 degree angle. Her goal is to get me to be able to walk 1 mile in 20 minutes. I'm not there yet but it won't be for lack of trying!!

So far I can walk 22 minutes without stopping. That might not sound like much but for me it is a big deal. I feel my enthusiasm to do this race growing stronger each day I am out there walking.

So take a look at my T-shirt in the picture below to see how I feel about this 5K!!  LOL!!  It was taken in Duluth.

- Jo Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment