The journey of several WMHS employees as they get ready for a 5K!

Monday, July 29, 2013

What a way to start the 5K class! Last week was the first week of formal 5K training and I missed it. I was out of town for a conference. One of the most difficult challenges of running is finding the time to do it. Life seems to get in the way. It is just so hard to prioritize and get running to the top of the list. I did communicate by email with our instructor, Shauna McQuade, and sent her my background information for plan development. I believe this week I will learn more about my training plan and will learn who will be my coach for the next few months. As for running, I had a nice run Saturday doing a little over three miles of running with a mile of walking. Actually, it felt pretty good. It was a gorgeous day yesterday, so I went again.The plan was to add some distance. My typical run is usually about 30 minutes, so yesterday I did 45 minutes covering about 4.5 miles. I needed a change of scenery, so I thought I would go to the towpath or trail in Cumberland. Nathan advised me that the towpath is incredibly boring, so we did the trail. He went with me and did 6 miles. He pretty much left me within the first two minutes. It was good to have him with me even if I didn't see him until we finished. 

The trail going west out of Cumberland is mostly in the shade in the afternoon, but the uphill grade is noticeable. When I turned to come back it was amazing how different it felt due to the difference in grade. Overall, the that part of the trail is pretty decent for an afternoon run or walk. Plenty of parking and ease of access coupled with the shade makes it attractive. 

I will try to write more frequently now that the 5K training has officially started. If my classmates don't mind, maybe we can get some photos as well. Let me know what you would like to hear about and I will see what I can do. Happy running!

- Kevin Turley

No comments:

Post a Comment