The journey of several WMHS employees as they get ready for a 5K!

Monday, August 12, 2013

Well, we are entering our fourth week of class and I have missed two of the first three. I missed one due to business travel and one for vacation. Hopefully, my attendance will be better going forward. I do now have a coach! Shauna McQuade is leading me with a pretty calculated training plan to help me accomplish a first time 5K. Even though my attendance hasn't been the best, Shauna has done a terrific job keeping me up to speed with what has been covered in class and with my running homework. We have chatted more on line via email than in person.  It is early, but so far having a coach makes a difference. First, I have some confidence that I am doing what I should be with running. It is easy to second guess yourself and try to do more than you should or the other way around and not challenge yourself. Secondly, I feel a sort of commitment to do the workouts as prescribed and strive to hit the goals that she has developed for me. You know how it is, we all want to do well for the coach.  Maybe I should have done this a long time ago.

Last week, I was in Virginia Beach on vacation and I actually did my workouts! I surprised myself... I completed two runs on the boardwalk and did two sessions of strength training in the hotel fitness room. Then, my son, Nathan had me on the hotel steps as opposed to using the elevator. Those steps can be tough after a workout! Nathan is a tough trainer.  He was a big help keeping me motivated during one of the morning runs. Mid-morning was very hot for running and he wouldn't let me stop. Thanks Nathan!

Yesterday, I did my weekly "long" run. It was 4.5 miles of running with a 2 minute interval of walking between each mile coupled with a half mile warm up and cool down walk. It was pretty hot (my excuse these days). No really, it was in the mid-eighties, which is hot for an out of shape guy! I was able to achieve the target times from Shauna's plan. The last half of the run was a little harder. Here is a photo after the run...enjoying a cool Gatorade to re-fuel and hydrate. The label says it is "performance"! What is up with that?  I believe they are good marketers since I can't tell the difference. As consumers, we tend to buy anything that looks like a magic bullet. Sorry, I digressed from the topic of preparing for a 5K. Nothing magic in these workouts - it is hard work, but worthwhile!

- Kevin Turley




No comments:

Post a Comment