The journey of several WMHS employees as they get ready for a 5K!

Monday, June 3, 2013

Leading by Example

Well, I suppose I have started my journey to complete a 5K run. I registered for the "Run For the Health of It" with the Western Maryland Health System.  Why am I doing this? Actually, I decided to do this for a variety of reasons.

First, and most importantly, I am doing it for myself. I am in my mid - fifties and have become fairly inactive, at least by my standards. I have been very fortunate to be in good health. However, I am border line in the "prehypertension" blood pressure category, so I do have to take some medication, and I have to admit that I am considered overweight when checking BMI. I am not very happy about either of those situations. Of course, it seems we have a "pill" for everything, but I know that doesn't have to be the answer. I also have a million excuses  to rationalize why I don't work out, eat better, sleep better and so on. Sound familiar?  I enjoy outdoor activities like bicycling, fly fishing, skiing, gardening, etc. I have noticed that each year some things get a little harder and the soreness and fatigue after strenuous activities  last longer. You know, age is a number. That is all it is and we seem to convince ourselves that age means you are simply sentenced to doing less, but I believe the real correlation are the months or years of inactivity. I don't want to do less. I want to do more.  

Second, but equally important is leadership. A long time ago, among many lessons learned from the U.S. Army, leadership 101 says don't ask people to do things you wouldn't do yourself…simple enough.  At the Western Maryland Health System, we  are striving to establish a culture of wellness. Transformation of culture is driven by leadership and example. I can't ask people to pursue a healthier lifestyle if I don't do it myself. 

This is a quest for much more than completing a 5K run. It is the pursuit of what I hope to be sustainable change in life style leading to a higher level of fitness coupled with improved metrics for health. I would appreciate hearing from you. We can all use support, and I know I need it. I hope you will consider joining me in this journey. I want to hear from you. All encouraging words of support will certainly be appreciated. 

Kevin Turley
Vice President, Business Development, Marketing and Planning 

No comments:

Post a Comment