The journey of several WMHS employees as they get ready for a 5K!

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The Clothes make the Man (or Woman)?

The quote is actually from Mark Twain: “The clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” 
Upon recommendation, I purchased a new pair of shoes.  I was told that if my workout shoes are over a year old, new ones are needed because the cushioning wears out.  I was shopping in Altoona on Saturday and ventured into a sports shop (not one of my favorite places) and told them what I was doing.  They didn’t seem as impressed as I thought they should have been.  After several seemingly scientific tests: standing on a scanner, watching my feet appear digitally on a screen, walking back and forth for the sales person, I was “prescribed” the shoes below:


A friend who met us for lunch on Saturday shared my enthusiasm for the shoes, stating that they looked “fast” even without being on me.  We shall see.  I think they are pretty and I love shoes, so what a great excuse to purchase a new pair! 
Yesterday was my trial run with the new shoes and I had to walk on a treadmill in our own WMHS gym because it was pouring down rain at the end of my work day.  I will have to do further experimentation, but I cut two minutes off my two mile time!  I am crediting that to the treadmill as opposed to walking the AC track, but the first nice day will test that hypothesis.  For those interested, our WMHS gym is nearly empty at 4:00 p.m.
One more side note for this week: I was thrilled at being published on this blog and sent the link to many friends.  This also helps keep me accountable; when I tell others, I’m less likely to quit.  One friend replied that tracks at colleges are generally only ¼ mile around, so I probably am only walking ½ mile instead of two miles!  Well I (and other locals) know that the large track at AC is one mile around and yes, I am walking it twice: hence, two miles!  Actually, this week I am adding another ½ mile to my workouts making them 2.5 miles.  My goal is to be able to walk all three miles before our official training begins on July 24.  My progress is slow, but I’m not standing still.



-Patty Wright

2 comments:

  1. Nifty shoes, Patty! I'm so impressed at your determination. If posting here and having friends keep you accountable does the trick -- count me in as a "watcher." :-)

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patty, I told you on Saturday that even the longest journey begins with a single step. You already took several steps in the right direction. You, Lady, are on a roll!

    Your new running shoes will make you look fast even when you're standing still! I am so proud of you and what you are doing!

    Marne

    ReplyDelete