The journey of several WMHS employees as they get ready for a 5K!

Monday, June 24, 2013

The Importance of Hydration and Rest

Water, water and more water…two weeks ago, I did some traveling and didn't drink adequately. Specifically, the day I traveled home I probably only drank about 24 oz. of  fluids and I don't recall that any of it was water (mostly tea).  I was also tired from less sleep than usual. Upon returning home, I went out for a run. Wow! It felt like the first week all over again. Lack of sleep certainly contributed to a very low level of performance, but I believe the lack of proper hydration was the primary culprit. The run was a disaster. I was slow and almost felt sick if I pushed myself. I just couldn't go.  I know that proper hydration as well as getting adequate rest is important, but I have to admit that I have terrible habits with both. So, the running has really shown me how critical both are to performance and I assume equally important to good health whether running or not. I need to listen to my body (and others around me who remind me daily) how important it is to drink water and get sleep.

My journey continues. I am getting out about 3 to 4 times a week and I can feel myself getting a bit stronger each week. Keep in mind, "getting a bit stronger" is a relative term, but for me, I feel the progress and it really feels good. I have enjoyed receiving words of support from everyone. I have to tell you it does make a difference, so feel free to drop a note here under comments or on our Facebook page. Of course, the good old fashion, but never out of style "hello or hey, we are following your journey" works great as well. Let me hear from you!

-Kevin Turley

No comments:

Post a Comment