The journey of several WMHS employees as they get ready for a 5K!

Thursday, June 27, 2013

My Treadmill Adventure

Well it is just too darn hot outside to walk so last Thursday morning Carey introduced me to our exercise room over at the WOC. WOW!! Is it ever nice. I tried out the treadmill, which comes with on-board fans. I was very impressed. It has a lot of bells and whistles which really help to make the walk an adventure. However it wasn’t until Tuesday that I could get back over and begin my more regimented training. I tried to walk outside over the weekend; and once again with Victoria and Snoopy in tow, it wasn’t what you would call a great success.  I did go one mile but it took me 30 minutes to get there. Anyway, I was looking forward to using the treadmill without having them with me.

We figured out that if I set the speed to 3.0 in 20 minutes I will do a mile. This is what Shauna suggested that I go for. Weeeeell I got on the treadmill, and started walking, and quite honestly, I thought I was going to have a heart attack after 3 minutes at that speed. I had to slow things down to 2.2 miles.
But happily I was able to walk the 20 minutes without stopping. It is a start of my journey.

I plan on walking Wednesday and Friday this week and hope that I can eventually by Friday get up to the 3.0 speed. I also saw that there is a 5K button on the machine and I was going to try it out later this week as well.

I don’t know if I will ever get to the point where endorphins kick in and I can’t wait to exercise, but I am proud of myself that I am doing this.

- Jo Wilson

3 comments:

  1. Jo,
    Way to go!!! I love our gym and it is so convenient. I have learned that another great advantage (in addition to the fans and other treadmill features) is the close proximity to the restroom. That just isn't available on the trail.
    I tried the 5k loop on the treadmill as well and it takes me close to an hour to finish it.
    Keep it up! You are an inspiration to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go, Jo! You can do it and congratulations for taking those first steps. Remember, no matter what speed you go, you are still lapping everyone on the couch! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As one of Patty's friends, I am very interested in the way you are all approaching this 5K. For a runner or jogger, it might not be much of a challenge. For the rest of us , it has the same menacing sound as a marathon! Keep up the good work.

    Marne

    ReplyDelete